Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Session Two

Hey y'all,

Quick recap of my sesh today. I left pretty early because I was worried about Art Fair traffic. I think all Ann Arbor residents would agree that the Ann Arbor Art Fair is the worst thing in the history of the world ever...for those of you not familiar, consider yourselves lucky. Basically smelly hippies from across the globe flock to the Ace Deuce with the sole intention of making it take forever to get anywhere. But I digress....

I left way too early (really didn't want to get yelled at by Leprechaun Mike for tardiness)  and arrived about 15 mins early. I went through my warm-up, all the while marveling at the class that was going on. The people in the class were doing 20 sets of one of the harest looking exercises I'd ever seen. Basically, they were snatching a barbell from the ground over their heads with straight arms and locking out. Then they were doing overhead squats. I would struggle to do this with just the bar. Everyone there (including a lot of girls) had at least 20 lb weights on each side. I've got a long road ahead of me.

Once I finished my warm-up, I waited for a few minutes for the class to end. I then met my trainer for the day, Jeff. Jeff was basically Dane Cook but infinitely more jacked and 20 years older. He cursed every other word and had an unbelievable amount of energy. He also made a lot of shitty jokes, but all in all seemed pretty nice. Jeff let me know I would be learning how to do dead lifts, squats, and presses. I had done all of these before so I was cautiously optimistic.

First, we worked on my dead lift form. Believe it or not, it was terrible. Apparently my sequencing is all out of whack and I need to engage my big muscles more. I worked for probably 10 mins until I got the hang of the motion, although I don't feel like I'm close to having mastered it.

Next, we moved to presses. This wasn't too bad, I'm a lot more coordinated in my upper body (I would assume everyone is), so I caught on to this much more quickly. Jeff noticed that my left shoulder was more developed than my right and asked if I had been an athlete. I let him know that yes, I had been proceeded to recounted some glory days on the baseball diamond. As an aside, I'm going to be a dominant Grandpa. My grand kids are for sure gonna hear the same 5 baseball glory days stories over and over and over again whether they want to or not. Not concerned if they like it or not. Love that shit.

After we finished presses, we moved to squats. I still struggled a bit with my knees going inwards, but overall I was OK at these. My WOD (Workout of the Day) was basically a ton of rowing work. At first I was happy about this...as mentioned previously, I dominate that shit. However, I am starting to think that the rowing machine is the CrossFit equivalent of Child's Pose in Yoga...they just send the people who can't do anything else there. Hopefully not.

The workout I did was fairly difficult, but nothing crazy. I did 12 30 second sets of rowing as fast as I could, interspersed with 30 second breaks. Jeff set a goal for me to go 120 meters each 30 seconds.

 I sprinted out for my first one, not really sure how far I'd go. I ended up going 140 meters. Score. Jeff then told me that every subsequent set should be at least 140 meters. Well shit.

Through dedication and perseverance I proceeded to have every one of my intervals be over 140 meters, finishing with 146 on my last one. Boss. In all seriousness, I have no idea if this is good or not, probably not, but I left pretty tired and happy that I had exceeded Jeff's expectations.

After that I did some stretching and scheduled my next session for tomorrow.

Alright, that's all, thanks for reading and have a good night! 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to need more day one detail...the color commentary is pure gold

    ReplyDelete